Friday, January 23, 2009

Yes, We Can - Reflecting Four Days Later

I am reflecting on the emotional roller coaster week I had, starting with all of the Inaugural festivities. The energy, enthusiasm, sense of hope and optimism seeped into every part of me - including work to a large extent. Things are tough right now for everyone and that is an understatement. You don't need me to echo what we are hearing in wall-to-wall coverage on the news.

Yet.

More than five times since Tuesday I found myself saying, Yes, We Can (no exclamation point) in conversation. And saying it with congruence and conviction. I can't remember ever really doing that before. Those who know me understand that I am an optimist by nature and usually resonate a can-do attitude. Yet this is different.

I started thinking about it today because of the reaction I have gotten when I said, Yes, We Can, in conversation. It has been remarkable. People do a double-take, as it seems out of context, but they think for a fraction of a second, pause, then look back at me and say, Yes We Can. Wow. Powerful stuff. Even as I write this I am chilled by the emotion that these three simple words evoke.

Yes.
We.
Can.

I learned from Tony Robbins what an incantation is. He taught us to start each day with a positive message that we can repeat while running, shaving, walking or just getting ready for our day. He has one he loves, I have one I love - and what is unique about repeating the mantra is emphasizing a different word each time you repeat it. This has a powerful effect. It causes you to think and focus on each word individually. I thought I would share it. Repeat this to yourself.

Yes, We Can
Yes, We Can
Yes, We Can

Did you sense the difference? I have been thinking about Yes for sometime now. It seems like we are drowning in a sea of No's. Why not just shout out YES YES YES. (Well, people might stare at you...) What about We? Sometimes we feel all alone in our struggles, especially in tough times, yet in tough times, isn't that when we should be relying on one another to get through each day. And Can. I love that affirmation. Positive, Active, Actionable. Can.

Yes, We Can.




(Note: After posting this I did a Google Search for Images related to Yes, We Can. Over 11 Million hits. Look here)

No comments: