Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Art Discovery At The Beach


An unexpected treat this morning on my walk in Santa Barbara. Our new home is an easy 8 minute walk to the beach. This morning it was clear and chilly and I could see all the way to the islands. Towards the end of the walk and near Butterfly Beach I came upon this stunning set of rock sculptures. I didn't have my camera with me, so I went home, got it (and Kymberlee) and hiked back to the spot where I first saw these statues.



From a distance you notice something, but it is not until you get close do you see that someone spent a lot of time creating these natural sculptures.


There were so many of these pillars, and such obvious care paid towards balance and the aesthetic of them as a collection.

Here is a short clip showing how in addition to the towers, smaller rocks were placed on a very large piece of driftwood.



I was taken with the idea of spending a day at the beach selecting, stacking, and thinking about this work of art - in total it takes up 50 foot of beach.

Amazing


1 comment:

Tumblemoose said...

Beautiful!

I'm guessing Isla-Vista types that couldn't make it home during Christmas break!

George