Monday, March 1, 2010

A Communication Framework

How well do you communicate? Here are the 6 steps I use nearly every day that help me be more effective.

Fifteen years ago I learned from Andy Blum of The Trium Group how to craft an effective communication. I can honestly say that I use this technique several times each week and it has become 'embrained' in me (note: this word comes from an email exchange between myself and @monster344 Stefan Bucher)

So, what's the secret? First, you have to want to improve your communication skills. Seeing as how everything I have been reading lately speaks to being able to communicate, with peers, employees, partners, clients, the markets - it's a part of 'being social' that we could all become better at. I thought I would share something that has helped me tremendously.

Here is the framework. You can use this on any communication, to any audience. I will give an example or two at the end.
  • Context (of the communication): The overall purpose, what you are trying to acheive
  • Vision (of the communication): A clear and compelling picture of the future situation you are trying to create through the communication
  • Strategy: How you propose to get to your desired future state, specific tactics
  • WIFY (What's in it for you, the audience): How the purpose and vision will benefit the person receiving the communication?
  • WRFY (What's required from you, the audience): Specifically, what you are asking the person recieving your communication to do, to get to the goal
  • Next Steps: The most immediate and specific next steps that will be taken to move toward the goal (including by whom and when)
I guarantee that if you were to outline your next letter, sales brochure, employee newsletter, speech at the Chamber of Commerce, etc and used this technique you will get kudos for your well-prepared content. This technique really performs.

Simple example.
  • Context: I am really hungry, I didn't eat breakfast or lunch and it's almost 3pm
  • Vision: I am thinking that a Salmon Ceaser Salad at the Harbor would be perfect right now
  • Strategy: How about we finish our meeting offsite and strategize while enjoying a salad
  • WIFY: You have been really helpful during this session and I want to buy lunch
  • WRFY: It's a bit chilly outside, so why don't you grab your coat and tell your team you're out
  • Next Steps: Let's go, I'll drive
Simple, to the point and covers everything a communication should, but let me put something a bit more business-like out there as another example:
  • Context: I think that we need to have a more 'socially focused' marketing plan for 2010.
  • Vision: We ought to be able to attract 5x more qualified propsects if we did this right.
  • Strategy: I have 'to-do' lists from several reputable books that I have just finished that would give us a great roadmap.
  • WIFY: Sales wants more qualified leads and these 'social' strategies seem to be specifically geared to helping us in this area.
  • WRFY: For the next week, we are all going to talk with our existing clients, and current prospects and find out how 'social' they are. What blogs, groups, twitterati, forums they pay attention to, this will help us in our targeting.
  • Next Steps: We will have a kickoff meeting this afternoon, followed by a series of workshops all week to layout an action plan to get our marketing much more social.
Notice that this was not a lengthy process, it's simple, to the point and easily communicated. In fact, looking back over it, you could almost tweet it  ;-)

I would love to hear from you about your communication tips and tricks. I can always learn a new one.

4 comments:

Mark Sylvester said...

(Can you comment on your own post, or are you supposed to amend the post itself? Please let me know)

I was inspired to write this post becuase I am speaking to the UCSB Entreprenuers Class this afternoon (3/1/2010) and am going to weave these concepts into the talk. Just wanted to give another real world example.

Richard Kerris said...

Mark,

Thanks for this. It's a tool I use all the time and your taking the time to explain it and show examples is great.

Much appreciated.

/r

Unknown said...

Great post Mark. My students loved your talk at UCSB yesterday. You nailed it.

Mark Sylvester said...

Thanks John - what was interesting during the talk was that I was processing the six steps in my head in realtime - it's what I mean by being 'embrained' with an idea or concept. It is when you get so that you don't actually think about it. It takes practice, and having a live audience like your students was a perfect place for me to exercise the skills. I love getting better at things.